Get in touch for expert advice

The person who is applying for entry clearance or permission to stay in the UK as the partner or child of a student must make an application and that can be made from inside or outside the UK.

Am I eligible to bring dependents on a student visa?

Your partner and your children may be eligible to apply as your dependents if your course is full time and at least for nine months long or you are a Government sponsored student on a full time course that is six months or longer.

Who can come as my dependent?

A dependent for visa purposes are husband or wife (spouse visa), civil partner, or an unmarried partner if you have been living together in a relationship akin to marriage for at least two years or a child under the age of 18.

When should I apply for a dependent visa from abroad?

You can apply at the same time as the student or after it was granted. As part of the visa application the dependent will have to show sufficient funds to cover living costs in the UK. This is £680 for each month that the visa will be valid up to a maximum of nine months. To evidence the funds you will have to provide bank statements or a bank letter. If a student has official financial sponsorship which covers the living costs of any dependents a letter from the sponsor confirming this should be submitted.

Can I work as a dependent of a student?

A dependent is able to work in the UK except they cannot work as a professional sports person or work as a doctor or dentist in training.

Danielle invites you to take a look at her blog, where you will see the diverse range of clients that she has helped.

If you have any questions about the process or would like to apply for a student dependent visa, please contact Danielle or call on 020 7267 4133. Danielle will only charge you for the first consultation if you decide to become her client and if she can assist you.

Contact Us! Leave Your Details or Call 020 7267 4133

The Firm is regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority