When non-British individuals make an application for UK Bank accounts for example, they will have to provide evidence of their identity. This can be their passport but also a Home Office Immigration Status document and often that is a BRP card. The BRP will be the evidence of the holder’s right to stay in the UK and show the conditions of this person’s stay.  On occasions there are individuals who have indefinite leave to remain which was granted to them in their passport in the form of an endorsement.  When one has an indefinite leave to remain endorsement on an expired passport most employers will ask for them to have a BRP because the employer would not accept the indefinite leave to remain stamp on an expired passport. That has been the rule since May 2014.  Therefore our advice is to apply for a biometric residence permit.

How can I replace my ILR stamp with a BRP?

You can apply for a biometric residence permit to replace the ILR stamp in your passport. You must apply online and, at present, it costs £229.  You will get a decision within six months.  If you want a faster decision you can pay an extra £800 for a super priority service.  If you only have limited leave to remain, again you will have to apply online and, at present, it costs £161; or you can get a faster decision if you pay an extra £800.

Do I need to renew my indefinite leave to remain?

Indefinite leave to remain status will not expire, but it can be lost in certain circumstances.  The BRP is proof of indefinite leave to remain status and is issued for 10 years.

Can I travel with indefinite leave to remain in my old passport?

If your ILR stamp is on an expired passport you can use it to travel in and out of the UK but you will need to have a valid passport as well.

Contact Us! Leave Your Details or Call 020 7267 4133

The Firm is regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority