Who can apply for a UK Ancestry visa?

You can apply for a UK Ancestry visa if:

  1. You are a commonwealth citizen
  2. You can prove that one of your grandparents was born in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man
  3. You are able and planning to work in the UK and you meet the eligibility requirements

What are the eligibility requirements to apply for an Ancestry visa?

You must:

  • be aged 17 or over;
  • have enough money without having recourse to public funds to support and accommodate yourself and your dependents; and
  • intend to work in the UK.

How do I apply for a UK Ancestry visa?

You must apply online from abroad before you travel to the UK (the earliest date to apply is three months before you travel to the UK). The UK Ancestry visa application will be done online. Your initial visa will be for five years and then you can apply to extend it for a further five years or you can apply to settle permanently.

How can I obtain indefinite leave to remain?

Ancestry visas are normally issued for five years. At the end of that period if you have lived in the UK continuously and spent no more than 180 days outside the UK in any 12 months you can apply for indefinite leave to remain.

Will my dependents be allowed to join me?

Partners (spouses, fiances, unmarried partners) and children can accompany or join the main applicant.

Is switching to this route allowed?

No.  Applicants must have entered the UK with a valid UK Ancestry entry clearance.

How do I meet the work requirements for settlement?

If you provide satisfactory evidence that you are self-employed or employed at the date of the application the Home Office will accept that you meet the work requirements and we suggest that you submit a letter from your current employer confirming how long you have been working for them and that they will continue employing you or the most recent pay slips together with Bank statements and most recent P60. Issue it within 31 days before the application. If you are unemployed when you apply for further permission to stay or settlement the Home Office will ask for evidence of your employment record throughout your previous five years on this route and any attempts you made to find work. If you have been unemployed for the entire five years you will have to provide reasons for it.

Will I will have to register with the Police?

Commonwealth citizens are not normally required to register with the police, however, under paragraph 325(3) Part 10 of the immigration Rules this can be imposed in exceptional circumstances.

Am I allowed to study under the UK Ancestry route?

You are allowed to st. There is no limit on the number of hours you can study or the level of course you can take.