Get in touch for expert advice
The Government has provided skilled business people access to two new visa rules to set up businesses in the UK. “The Start-Up visa route” will be open to those starting a business for the first time in the UK, while the Innovator visa route will be for more experienced business people who have funds to invest in their business. Both routes will see endorsing bodies and business experts, rather than the Home Office assessing applicant’s business ideas. This will ensure that the route will focus on only the most Innovative, viable, scalable businesses.
The new Innovator category and the closure of Tier 1 Entrepreneur came into force on 29th March 2019. Those applying under the innovator category will need to have access to investment funds of £50,000, unless an exception applies and be endorsed by an approved endorsing body.

What is the level of investment that needs to be made in order to be granted leave to remain in the UK?

You can no longer apply for a Tier 1 (entrepreneur) visa.  If you wish to set up or run a business in the UK you should apply under the Innovator visa or a start-up visa.  If you already have a Tier 1 (entrepreneur) visa you can apply to settle in the UK or extend your visa. 

What is an Innovator Visa in the UK?

An innovator visa is for those who want to set up and run a business in the UK.  You must have at least £50,000 in investment funds, unless the business is already established.  However, unlike previous visas you must show that the business idea that you have has been endorsed and there is a list of endorsing bodies that you should approach before you apply to the Home Office. In order to get endorsed, you have to demonstrate that your business idea is a new idea, viable with potential for growth.  If your application is successful you will get a visa for three years and can apply to extend it for another three years. You can apply for settlement once you have been in the UK for 3 years. 

How do you get an Investor Visa in the UK?

A Tier 1 investor visa is a  route for high net-worth individuals with access to at least £2m to invest in the UK. Your initial visa will be granted for 3 years and 4 months, after which you can apply for a two year extension provided you meet the requirements.  The investment has to be in an active and trading UK registered company by way of share capital or loan capital. There are certain requirements to be met when applying for a Tier 1 investor visa. Please contact us for further information.

How do I get a UK Start-up Visa?

You can apply for a start-up visa if you want to set up a business in the UK and your business idea is endorsed by either a UK Higher Education institution or by a business organisation with a history of supporting UK entrepreneurs.  Your business idea has to be a new idea, innovative, i.e. original and different from whatever else is on the market, and viable.

Danielle invites you to take a look at her blog, where you will see the diverse range of clients that she has helped.

If you have any questions about the process or would like to make an application please contact Danielle on 020 7267 4133. Danielle will only charge you for the first consultation if you decide to become her client and if she can assist you.

Contact Us! Leave Your Details or Call 020 7267 4133

The Firm is regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority